Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Swaps for the Paper Cowgirl Altered Art Retreat Completed

Today I leave for my own camp...Art Camp!!!  Actually tonight begins the Paper Cowgirl Altered Art Retreat.  I will pick up my sister and head to Waxahachie once I finish serving lunch to the kids today!  I'm sorry to miss Friday at Pine Cove...but I'm ready to "retreat:!

I have finished my items for the swaps at the Paper Cowgirl Retreat.  The swaps are purely optional, but usually a lot of fun.  You are paired up with another lady (who you've never met) and you create a piece of art you think she'll like!  I've done several swaps in the past, and have not been disappointed. 

My first swap is the inspiration board.  I started with this...


and finished with this! 


I created some little push pins from cute flower buttons.


I also made a larger heart push pin...I love anything from an old quilt.


My second swap is an altered apron.  The object was to take and old apron and alter or make a new apron and alter it.  I kinda combined the two.  New fabric for the main apron, but I used a vintage embroidered dresser scarf for the top of the apron. 


I also created some tattered flowers to added to the apron.


Last, but not least was the box swap.  I could choose any box that was close to a cigar box size.  I had several to choose from.


I went with the more square box and began by painting the box with several layers of color.  I added layers of paper, more painting and then crackled it all.  I wiped a stain on the top to highlight the crackles.


I added a vintage drawer pull on the top then embellished the pull with some extra items.


Inside the box I used one of my favorite photos of a lady on the beach along with some handwritten paper and vintage lace.


Inside, on the bottom, I added more paint, layers, crackle and stain.


Once I swap my items on Thursday night, I'll report back what I received in the swap.  I'm sure I'm going to end up with the better end of this deal!!!

Now that all the swap items are completed I also finished my 93 "name tag" trades to swap with the ladies I meet there.  I heard there are 92 "cowgirls" coming from all across the U.S.  


Tonight is our meet and greet...I'll be sure to have my camera ready to document the whole evening so I can report back.  Waxahachie is rolling out the welcome mat and I'm excited.

Till tomorrow...
debi

2 Cowgurls said:

Connie Mann said...

Have a wonderful time! Your swap items are all beautiful! I am, as always, in awe of your creativity!

Hollace said...

If I made such a beautiful box with so many steps to complete it, I would find it very hard to give away. You must be generous as well as creative.