Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Party Appetizers

Another party...another appetizer!  Since this one was a breakfast "brunch" I thought I'd bring a "breakfast appetizers...is there such a thing?)  Oh well...there is NOW!

I checked my pantry first to see whether I had some dates on hand and found a package of Dole dates that I had purchased earlier.  However, when I went to purchase some more, it took me forever before I found them...different brand, different packaging and different grocery store!  How complicated can purchasing some dried fruit be?
For this recipe you will need about 1.5 packages of dates...so be sure and purchase two!

You will also need a package of Maple-flavored bacon (which gives a great flavor.)


That's it!  Two ingredients!
I begin by cutingt the bacon into thirds.  There are usually about 15 slicess of bacon in a package, so this will give you about 45 individual appetizers.


Wrap a piece of bacon around the date and secure with a toothpick. (If you don't have toothpicks, not to worry.  When the bacon cooks it adheres to itself, the toothpick is only helpful when someone wants to pick up one and place it on their plate.  No toothpicks also means no trash or need of plates!) 
I place the wrapped dates in a jelly-roll pan so that the grease is contained. (We all know...bacon makes grease! YUM!)


For SOME reason...I don't have a picture of the finished product.  I took them out of the oven and we ran to the party...and they were "ate up" instantly!!!

Now...a small word about this appetizer.  Most people will eat bacon wrapped "anything!"  Bacon makes everything taste good.  BUT...there is a mental block with "some" that says "I HATE DATES!"   Once they've made that statement out loud...they won't even take a bite!
SOOOOO...until they've tasted them, don't tell them what's in the middle of the bacon!!!  They'll be happy you kept it a secret.

Ingredients:
  • Maple Flavored Bacon
  • 2 packages of dates
  • Toothpicks - if so desired
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Wrap each date with 1 bacon piece; secure with toothpick.
  3. Arrange on a jelly-roll pans.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bacon is crisp, turning once.  

 When the dates are properly crisp enough, I place them on  a paper-towel-lined plate to drain off any excess grease.  Transfer them to your pretty serving platter; serve immediately. (Now if you are transporting them to another place...you can re-heat them for about 30+ seconds in the microwave. However, I can eat them cold and they are still delicious!)

Till tomorrow...and another appetizer (tis the season)!
debi

4 Cowgurls said:

Holly said...

Haha. I wrote a comment on this post only somehow it mysteriously showed up as a new post from me! I didn't know until I started getting comments on my comments to you!
I'm not safe on the computer =)

Holly said...

Cowgurl's Blessing: Christmas Party Appetizers
I just had something like this at a baby shower, only it was bacon (1/2 slice) dredged in brown sugar and wrapped around a Little Smokie. It was really yummy too, like eating candy.
My original comment:
Maybe I will do these for Christmas morning to go with the quiche I usually make. Sounds great! Merry Christmas!
Posted by Hollace at 8:45 AM
1 comments:
ellen b. said...
Yum...go for it!

debianne said...

Oh, Holly! You make me laugh!!!!

Mary Jo said...

Hi Debianne! This is Mary Jo from Redhouse Ranch. Just wanted to tell you that you are the Winner of the necklace I gave away on my blog! Email me and I'll get it shipped out to you today! Btw, I'm following your blog now... are you in McKinney? I'm in Flower Mound!