Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Birthday Book Bag

I just completed a book bag I "made over" for a birthday present. The make over was of a "gimme" bag my husband picked up at his latest trade show. This one happened to be brown...unusual, since they are usually black or cream. I had intended to create this bag for the Stampington Magazine call for bag makeovers, but unfortunately my computer crashed and I didn't make that deadline. Oh well...maybe next time. This one will still be put to good use.

I began by digging out any brown related items I had stashed that I could use for trim or decoration on the bag. I found several kinds of beads, ribbon and trims that contained pink and brown...so that was my choice of colors. (I didn't want to run out and purchase anything - I just knew I had something hiding in my cupboard!) Next, I printed several cowgirl pictures onto printable canvas. I used the heavy stock canvas so it would hold up well on the outside of the bag. I left enough spaces between the pictures to be able to sew on trim to frame them out. I stitched the canvas down over the wording on the bag. Happily the wording was only on one side, so there is only one front for the back to showcase the cowgirl pictures. I stitched down the picture and finished trimming it out with a brown ribbon with pink dots.

I stitched a pink ribbon with brown dots along the sides to cover up the original edge stitching and I found a third ribbon trim with simple lines to sew onto the handles. I finished out the top edge with the same pink ribbon with brown dots I had sewn along the sides. I finished the whole bag off with a little bag "corsage" created from a vintage piece of lace, a small string of pink and brown beads and the three color ribbons I used on the bag. I sewed on a couple of pink buttons to complete the look.
Over all...this project was an easy makeover! It was also a great birthday hit with Miss Janice. Filled with a few other "goodies"...she can now tote her books where ever she pleases! (Or fill it with goodies she finds on her many travels!)
Going forward - this blog will become all about my "business" (my sewing and artwork). I am preparing to open my etsy shop after this weekends event and I want this blog to be tied to that name and identity. I will be blogging my thoughts and "family" adventures and antics at debianne's journey.
I'm still preparing for this weekend's McKinney Cowgirl's Market. If you happen to be in the area, stop by and visit with us! It's also the McKinney Holiday Tour of Homes. This year there are 5 homes on the tour. So...plan your trip to McKinney, tour the homes, shop with us at the McKinney Cowgirls' Christmas Market and visit our great downtown area!

1 Cowgurls said:

Jacky O said...

I really like the bag makeover idea! I think I will look for some of the "grocery" bags and make them over. I am so over plastic!
Thanks for the idea!
Jacky O